01.02.2012 1984


The last time I read 1984, I was way too young and in the Enid Blyton stage of my evolution as a reader. Fine if you think it categorizes itself under a fetal stage. Interestingly, I remember being blown away by the book even then. I dont remember how I tried to comprehend the ideas so grown up that this book put forth, say for a simple example as to how the young me perceived even the idea of a totalitarian state at a point of time when I had not much of an idea as to what even a state was. Arguably (or not, perhaps), I still doesnt have much of an idea, but thats another thread.

It is only inevitable that I pick it up again now. There are reasons why some books are re-read. They make sense in totally new and unexpected ways and let one discover much more dimensions and meanings in them. And for me, the more I grew up the more cynical and wary of the world I have become, so it should really help in my re-read experience of this book. Why? Read. And you'll know. If you dont get it even after that I have already did you a favor by asking you to read it. You're welcome.

Here, Page 70. This he says about the Proles.

And even when they become discontented, as they sometimes did, their discontent led nowhere, because, being without general ideas, they could only focus it on petty specific grievances. The larger evils invariably escaped their notice.

I mean, really, think of my community and the cancerous factionalism. While there lies unattended a number of questions and problems that concern Muslims as a whole, people here still fight over the number of raka'aths in a taraveeh prayer. Pathetic.

Not a very good correlation made, I understand, but this is Spartaa, and I will postaa whatever I feel like.

2 comments:

Dutta said...

It is amazing how we have different interpretation of the same book/film when we read it again ... I think it has to do with the person we are at that point of time ...

rameez said...

Exactly my point.
Perks of growing up. ;)